Monday 28 June 2010

Blurring the sky... part 2

I've got a photographer called Ryan to thank for sowing the seeds for this one after we'd chatted about whether its possible to get a slow enough shutter speed to 'blur' clouds like you can blur water and so finally, I got hold of some ND filter lighting gels for my Sigma lens. Its a great lens but unfortunately filters have to be rear-mounted as the front element is too large for a filter ring. The cut gels are fiddly little devils to get into the small holder at the back of the lens without getting fingerprints on them and are a compromise at the moment. This set-up makes it difficult to focus or even see through as they are so dense. I could keep taking the filters out to focus but thats a pain so I plumbed for good old 'Infinity/ hyperfocal distance' on the lens which at f22, should be okay. I used 2x ND1.2 filters cut from a sheet which equates to an 8-stop light reduction giving exposures of around 60 secs @ f22 100 ISO to get this shot. The great thing about this technique is that there is a bit of guesswork coming back into my photography. Not so much the technical aspect which I've got my head around, but the final aesthetic thang ! Initially I was worried that due to not being able to focus the lens properly, the shot would be all over the place. As the first frame appeared on screen, it struck me that this wasn't a problem since everything in the scene was going to move and blur anyway. As the wind died down, the shots became mediocre, as it increased, they looked 'too' blurred. I waited a while until the wind around the tree's was moderate then started either a 30sec or 60sec exposure and hoped i'd guesstimated right. Originally I was looking around the tree on the right to get a better shot of the clouds but I came back to the shot above and used the tree's to frame the wheat fields and clouds better. As I made the long exposure, I assumed the shot was about the clouds and hadn't anticipated that the trees would be so animated, unlike the grasses in the foreground which were in a relatively sheltered position. I'm not a natural landscape photographer as i'm not sure as to what the 'brief' is. With my other stuff, I usually have a good idea about what I want and how to go about it but landscape shots just seem a bit too static for me, and don't really reflect my love of both wide-open spaces and forests/woodlands etc. that I can crash through on my mountain bike. This is then becoming a case where the technique is everything I want to say about landscapes in my photography... the wind through the tree's, the rushing clouds, the natural drama that 1/125th of a second cannot describe. Hmmmm, I feel a 'poem' coming on in a minute !

No comments:

Post a Comment